This post may seem obvious, but some times we have to be reminded of the basics. One of those basics for me is anticipating temptation.
We all know, when we are in our right minds and thinking clearly, that certain people, places and things will set off our temptation. Unfortunately, too often, we just blindly walk into situations where we feel caught off guard and there’s a struggle that ensues. But if we were careful to anticipate the situations, we would have our guard up and be ready for the fight. In fact, usually when we anticipate it, there isn’t even a fight.
So what are the anticipatory signs you need to be on the lookout for?
We need to break this down internally and externally.
Internally – what goes on inside me that leads to temptation?
- Mind – thought patterns that are negative, self defeating, critical and pessmistic
- Heart – emotions like fear, anger, loneliness, disappointment, the 3 I’s.
- Soul – experiencing a drought spiritually or being disconnected from the Word.
Externally – what goes on outside me?
- What restaurants typically have scandalously dressed women at lunchtime?
- What billboards/signs/establishments will I pass on my way to the office?
- What interactions do I know are on my calendar for today that make me feel uncomfortable?
- Am I going anywhere today that the physical location is triggering?
These are some of the things I need to anticipate in order to honor God with my life. If I am aware of them, I can made commitments and decisions ahead of time so I’m not caught off-guard. When I do, the likelihood of living with integrity goes up.
What do you need to anticipate?